Fall / Autumn 2014
- NEW BOOK IN ITALIAN. The translation of Erkki’s first book in the Italian language has been finished, and the volume is currently being designed. The title of the book is Elementi di schermologia. It has been translated by Roberto Terrosi and will be published by Kainos Edizioni, a publisher of works on cultural theory and philosophy.
- LYON. Erkki will give an invited lecture on September 2, 2014 at the Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3 (Lyon, France). His lecture will open the conference ”Vivre par(mi) les écrans aujourd’hui. Évolution et proliférations d’un système complexe.” The topic of the lecture is ”Screenology. Media Archaeological Perspectives.”
- LINZ. Erkki will be speaking at the Device Art Symposium in Linz, Austria. It is a part of the Ars Electronica 2014 festival, and will take place on September 6, 2014 at Ars Electronica Center’s Skyloft, 11am – 1pm. Erkki has helped professor Hiroo Iwata from Tsukuba University (Japan) to curate an exhibition of Device Art for the Ars Electonica Center by selecting works from artists who have graduated from UCLA’s Department of Design Media Arts. The featured DMA artists are: Jaehyuck Bae, Scott Hessels, Lauren McCarthy and Eric Siu.
For more, see:
- ALTÖTTING. Erkki will present a paper at the 23rd International Panorama Confererence in Altötting, Germany, on September 11, 2014. The title of the paper is “Le Panorama Tour du Monde: Louis Dumoulin’s Other Chef d’Oeuvre.”
- PARIS. Erkki will give an invited lecture at the “Avant l’image: des dispositifs pour voir” (Prior to the image: viewing through apparatuses) symposium in Paris, October 20-21, 2014. The symposium will be held at Le BAL, an exhibition center for photography, and is hosted by the prestigious École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS).
- DUBAI. Erkki will give a Keynote Address at the 20th International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA 2014) in Dubai. The symposium will take place between October 30 and November 8, 2014 at Dabai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. It is hosted by Zayed University’s College of Arts and Creative Enterprises.
- LAUSANNE. Erkki will give an invited lecture at the symposium “Le mouvement du cinéma. Théories et pratiques. Histoire et historiographie” at the University of Lausanne, Section d’histoire et esthétique du cinéma, Switzerland, November 18-19, 2014.
- MOSCOW. Erkki will deliver the closing Keynote Address at the international “Philosophy of Art Today” Conference at the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. The topic of his November 29 lecture is “Media Archaeology as an Approach: Continuities and Transformations in Media Culture.” Professor Huhtamo will also read an invited paper on November 28 in the same conference, organized by the Polytechnic Museum, Moscow.
LECTURE TOUR: OGAKI, TOKYO, KYOTO. Immediately after finishing his Fall Quarter’s teaching at UCLA Professor Erkki Huhtamo will pack his bags again and fly to Japan. He will give three public lectures there before Christmas. The tour begins at IAMAS, the Institute of Advanced Media Arts and Sciences, in Ogaki City (Dec.17). Next comes an invited lecture at a Robot Art Symposium at Waseda University, Tokyo (Dec.19). The tour concludes with another lecture at Kyoto University (Dec.22).
- NEW BOOK IN JAPANESE. Erkki’s first book in Japanese is nearing completion. It is a new work on media archaeology tailored for Japanese readers. The manuscript has already been translated by Yoshitaka Ota from the Kyoto University. The book will be published by NTT Publishing Co. Ltd. in Tokyo and is expected to appear in 2015.